READY TO LAUNCH
One of the most important things to do when your new website goes live is to shout out that you have a new website and start to drive traffic to it. There are many reasons why this is important, but a one really good reason is that it will help Google index it faster and start to improve your SEO rankings immediately. There are many ways that you can do this, but here are a few ways to get the word out.
- SOCIAL MEDIA – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Linkedin, in fact any social media account you have is a really good place to start. You will be surprised how far one post can reach if people start to like and share it.
PR – Depending on the type of business you have and the type of clients you are trying to reach, PR may be a really good way for you to get the word out about your new website.
- NEWSLETTER – if you have a newsletter or email list, be sure to let them know that your new site has launched and even more importantly, how it can help their business or add value to it. I use and highly recommend Mailchimp. You may want to consider a special offer as a way to get people on your list to visit your new website and to engage with them.
- WORD OF MOUTH – is still one of the most powerful ways to communicate your message. Don’t be afraid to ask those close to you, or past clients, if they would give feedback on your new website. Again, you could reward them for their time, and in doing so renew their loyalty to your business.
KEEP YOUR WEBSITE UPDATED & FRESH
Once your new website has gone live, I will arrange a 1:1 with you via Zoom, so that I can show you how you how to get around the backend of your site and how to keep the theme and plugins up to date. In addition, I will show you how you can change images and update content, which is particularly important if you have recurring visitors.
- KEEP PLUGINS & THEME UPDATED – It is vital that you login to the back end of your website weekly and make sure that all of your plugins, your theme and WordPress are up to date. By ignoring this you risk the security of your website.
- UPDATE IMAGES – I highly recommend that every 6 months you change the images on your home page slider and at least once a year give your galleries a refresh. This is important as it shows visitors that you are taking the time to keep things fresh.
- ONCE A YEAR – I recommend that you look at your website as if through the eyes of a visitor. Does it still look fresh and inviting? If not, you might want to consider a few cosmetic updates! It is also another opportunity for you to shout out that your website has had a makeover!!
- KEEP YOUR INFORMATION UPDATED – Are your opening times correct? Do they match what you have on your social media platforms? Have you had a new member of staff and not added them to the website?
ADD NEW CONTENT
You may not know this but Google looks at your website in two ways: ‘Dead or Alive’! A website that is regularly updated with new content has traffic driven to it through new blog posts, has new and returning users, is considered ‘Alive’. Your website will be considered ‘Dead’ if it is not being managed, updated regularly and is not being taken care of. All of this can impact dramatically on your SEO. Some ways you can add new content is by doing the following:
- Blog – I know it can seem like another task to add to a never-ending task list, but if you write regularly and add new, interesting and relevant content, you will soon build up new followers who are keen to see what you have to say. It is a fact that websites with a blog that is frequently updated, on average, will have 30-40% more traffic to their website than their competitors. Google will often pick up on a new post before it picks up on a new page. Once you have written a new post you should then use social media to drive people to the post. If you struggle to write a regular blog post, I am happy to recommend a couple of people who will be only too happy to help.
- New Pages – Once a year it is worth looking at your website with fresh eyes to see if everything that is on your website looks and feels fresh and relevant. May be you now offer a new service or product that isn’t on your website? Google loves to see a website being added to. You can then do a shout out on social media and tell people you have updated your website!
- Updated Content – If things in your industry change or your services change, be sure to update your site accordingly. Even adjusting content by a few words can show Google that your site is being worked on, and is again…” alive”.
WE ALL LOVE REVIEWS
If you feel you have done a good job, then don’t be afraid to ask for a review … Online reviews are more important than ever, with people searching for a review on a particular product or service before they even look at your website. Some of the ways that you can ask are:
- Google Review – This is highly recommended as Google reviews are generally what will pop up when somebody finds your site with an internet search. You can either have your customers Google your business and leave a review OR you can use this site to generate a direct link: https://supple.com.au/tools/google-review-link-generator. It’s super handy!
- Facebook Reviews – FB reviews are also great and are now a more reputable spot for customer reviews. Don’t be afraid to ask for your customers to leave a review on your Facebook page and have them share it. Or get their permission for you to share it.
- Testimonials for Website – After your website is live, we recommend gathering as many testimonials as possible to post on the website. Even if you don’t currently have any on the site, if you can gather 5-10 good, personalised reviews (usually gathered via email or off Google or Facebook) we can eventually set up a testimonials page. Users will often look for reviews ON the site as well as on other outlets before making a purchase, calling or emailing. I recommend putting the best ones on the site.
PROTECT YOUR WEBSITE!
AND FINALLY! I WOULD LOVE A REVIEW!
Lemonade Design Co
is a Website & Branding Company based in Kent with a UK and Global client base.
T: + 44 1 233 642773
M: + 44 (0) 7984 470415